Monday, June 28, 2010

Really, Really Expecting

A lot has happened since the last time I posted. My husband and I decided to have another child. We had been trying actually since about last September but just like before we weren't having much luck on our own. So in April I went to the doctor and got a prescription for Clomid. This is the same fertility drug I took in 2006 to get pregnant with my son, Jackson. I took one "cycle" (5 days) of the Clomid. Jeff and I decided that at this point in our lives we might need to postpone having another child. Jeff and I are both in school and working full time and financially it didn't make much sense to have another child until one of us graduated. I was a little disappointed with our decision because I am 28 years old and really don't want to wait much longer to have more children. And our son is already 3 years old and I don't want to have a large age gap between the kids. But my husband's reasoning made sense.

So I did not take anymore cycles of the Clomid. In May I did not have my monthly woman visitor but that is not unusual for me at all. I took a pregnancy test and it was negative. Then a few more weeks later I noticed that I was very emotional. I would cry while hearing songs on the radio. I haven't been taking my Zoloft (anxiety meds) so I thought that my brain was just malfunctioning like it does. A coworker talked me into taking another test. So at work in the bathroom stall I took a pregnancy test (without my husband knowing) and immediately two pink lines show up. I was completely shocked. After telling Jeff and both of us adjusting to the idea of this unexpected surprise I still decided to keep it quiet at work until after I went to the doctor to confirm everything. On June 17, 2010 I went and confirmed with the doctor. Since the pregnancy was due to a fertility drug they scheduled me for an ultrasound to make sure everything was okay. On June 23, 2010 my husband and I go back for the ultrasound. I am only about 11 weeks at this time so I don't know why but I was expecting to just see a little peanut and nothing much more. As soon as the TV screen popped on the ultrasound technician says "There's two". WHAT?! There they were. 2 heads, 2 bodies, and 4 hands. They are fraternal twins which means they are in separate amniotic sacs and have separate placentas which is good because they will be able to have separate nourishment instead of fighting for it.

Well as you can imagine both of us were really shocked. Before the technician walked out the door she asked me "Is your husband okay, because he hasn't said a word since I have been in here?" He didn't really speak to me until about an hour later. I know it was a lot to take in. And the first things he says to me is we have to get a new car and a new house.

So within a matter of a few minutes my life has completely changed. We traded our compact crossover vehicle for a full size SUV. We have decided to make the house work as long as we can. There are 2 bedrooms and 1 bath upstairs and 2 bedrooms and 1 bath in the basement but you can't really put any of the kids in a basement. So eventually we will probably have to add on or move. So now we are just trying to prepare for what is to come next. I am already getting a baby bump and I am only 12 weeks along. I can't image what I will be like in a month or two. I guess we will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment