Tuesday, April 16, 2013

It's sad but I believe I have become numb to all the random acts of violence in America.  I feel bad for the families of yesterday's tragedy in Boston, but it almost feels normal for me.  Really the only events that have sparked true emotions from me was the Sandy Hook school shooting.  And I think that was because I have children that age and my empathy went into overdrive because it could have been my children.  How has America become so full of hatred and malice?  I really believe it begins at home and the way you were raised.  How come I feel scared to discipline my children?  Why is the government so involved in our lives that we run the risk of having our children taken away by using a belt for punishment?  It almost makes me want to leave my homeland.  I want to go live in the peaceful vineyards of Italy away from everyone.  If only life were like it was 60 years ago when children were scared and respected elders.  It seems fitting that I should quote Anne Frank at this time.  "Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart."  This is true but they have to be shown the right way.  I was having a conversation with my son the other night.  He has been acting out at school and home lately.  When I asked him why he said his brain told him to do bad things.  I told him that was normal and everyone's brain tells them to bad things, but we have to listen to our heart and choose to do good.

No comments:

Post a Comment